- There's an old rocky temple.
- Rocky cliff beside a forest.
- An incredibly old castle pillar.
- It's a pile of rocks.
- A fun rock tower party.
- Made by ages of old.
- Piles of rocks stand strong.
- It is covered with snow.
- Old stone outpost long abandoned.
- Do not cross these rocks.
- Ancient ruins of crumbling history.
- An unfinished little rock house.
- It's absolutely solid as rock.
- Stacks of flat grey rocks.
- Cool old crumbling rock structure.
- Ancient ruins of crumbling stone.
- Do not climb these rocks.
- A really big rocky mountain.
- Please don't walk on rocks.
- Old, grey, crumbling, broken Stonehenge.
- Block by block standing proud.
- It is Stonehenge's big brother.
- Forbidden access to rocky landmark.
Friday, October 18, 2013
Today for our SODA (Start of Day Activity) we had to look at a picture and write a 5-word sentence about it. Here is the picture and our sentences.
Wednesday, October 16, 2013
Today (Tuesday) we looked at the Once-ler
What kind of person is the Once-ler?
- Greedy; wanting more of everything; loves money; selfish; disrespectful to nature; ignorant; careless; self-centred; bully;
- Greedy; selfish; disrespectful
- Rude, selfish, greedy, stupid, stubborn
- Mean, horrible, cruel, vicious
- Mean and selfish,
- Greedy man who will do anything for money; selfish, silly man with a ‘stupid’ idea
Why won't he listen to the Lorax?
- He’s ignorant; didn’t think what the Lorax had to say mattered; forgot what you need to live
- Thinks his business is better than the environment; he wants to be famous
- Because he is stubborn
- Because he wants money; wants to make his company bigger; he is selfish and only cares about what he wants
- He thinks money is better than nature; he thinks everybody needs Thneeds; if he doesn’t listen to the Lorax he will be rich; he wants more money;
- Because he wants a lot of money and won’t stop until he gets it
The Lorax says to the Once-ler, "You are crazy with greed." Why does the Lorax say that?
- Because he wants heaps of money, heaps of Thneeds, and wouldn’t listen
- Because he wants everything his way
- He said everyone needs a Thneed before he had even sold one
- Maybe because he was crazy for cutting the trees down; for not listening and cutting down the trees when he was told not to;
- Because he’s greedy; he’s chopping all the trees down to get rich;
- Because it’s more important to look after the environment than neglecting it for ‘pieces of paper’; the Lorax knows what will happen;
Do you agree or disagree?
- Agree: the place was a paradise; he ruined it
- Disagree: he wasn’t crazy with greed; he became crazy with greed - no one tried hard enough to stop him, it wasn’t just the Once-lers fault
- Disagree: he’s greedy not crazy
What do you think?
Monday, October 14, 2013
Today in class we looked at the Lorax - we will be talking about various issues that arise in the book - and discussing our response to them.
What was the land of the Lorax like before the Once-ler arrived?
- beautiful, peaceful, relaxing, lovely, happy
- beautiful, clean, populated, smog-less, exquisite, fresh, pure, nature-filled, fruity, fishy
- beautiful, paradise
- colourful, peaceful, loads of animals, sunny, heaps of trees, lots of fun
- beautiful and romantic; perfect; colourful trees; lots of growth
Did it seem like someplace you'd like to live?
- yes - wildlife, safe environment
- yes - because it was clean and fresh, and it seemed cleaner than 100% pure NZ
- yes definitely - because it’s a beautiful place
- yes - nice and peaceful and lovely; lots of things to do; trees look fun to climb
- yes - the trees are pretty and colourful and silky
- yes - really beautiful singing fish and environment
- yes - it looks cool and has trees and singing fish
- no - because of the singing fish every morning
What parts of your own environment would you be sad to see go?
- the park on Simpson Cres, our wildlife, our mountains, the beach
- grass, trees - they provide oxygen, entertainment, and shelter, Kapiti Island - it provides an area for native birds
- the trees
- Kapiti Island - nature reserve filled with birds; Otaihanga reserve; the clear sea at Pukerua Bay; Reikorangi animal park; Matthews Park
- Pohutukawa trees, kiwi, Kapiti Island
- rivers and seas - places to swim